Greeting

Karibuni! The Lord is good! My name is Brandon and the Lord has done mighty things in my life. I am a missionary in Moshi, Tanzania and God is doing good things for us here at Treasures of Africa Children's Home. This website was created to share that story with friends, family and supporters in the states. I also from time to time will share some thoughts on other stuff as well. Each of the entries are a story of what the Lord is up to and to Him be all glory. Please feel free to send comments and questions to me at bmstiver@gmail.com. Thanks for visiting the site and I hope the Lord blesses you as you poke around.

Peace and Grace,
Brandon Stiver

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Testimony

I have been very blessed over the last month or so with some friends that have come from California to work with Ryan. I’ve already mentioned Kelli who has been my friend for a few years now and we were in the same life group back in Costa Mesa. Also, Vanguard’s interns Nick, Taylor and Dalila as well as Melissa who got connected to Ryan through me and kind of a cool story of what God did and is doing in bringing her here. So these five are staying at Ryan’s place and its been really great to have a community of people around my age to share life with this summer.

Before Melissa and Kelli even got here, I mentioned to the others that I wanted to do testimonies as a group. I’ve always loved to hear stories of other believers and the work that the Lord has done in their lives and what He’s doing right now. It allows us to have better insight into those in our community and it encourages us because we realize that often some of the things they’ve gone through aren’t all that different from our own. Even for those in the group that drive you up the wall, it increases your ability to empathize with them and love them more.

So we started our testimonies a couple days ago. I got put in the hot seat first (that’s what I get for coming up with the big idea) on Wednesday. I managed to go for just over two hours. Yeah, a total snooze fest. I enjoy sharing of what the Lord is doing and has done. Because I’m so long winded I try to throw in a few completely irrelevant stories about stuff like being in a “club” as a child named after my friends stuffed bear (Club Ted) and how tea parties with girls played a part in such situations. Basically, I try to keep everyone awake, which isn’t all too dissimilar from preaching at a Tanzanian church service. After I went, Melissa shared (pushing us late into the night) and then last night Dalila and Taylor testified. Nick and Kelli are coming up next.


There’s power in the testimony. Testimony is such a big part of the Bible. There is this kind of important thing that the Israelites were toting around the desert for a while. Later on it landed in Jerusalem and got King David so stoked he shook his fig leaf off dancing. Word on the street is, its in Ethiopia now, but who knows really. Its often called the ark of the covenant, but its also called the ark of the testimony in the Bible. The object that the Lord gave them wasn’t to be worshiped as those ancient heathen graven images were. Only God was to be worshiped. But this super important item included in temple worship was supposed to be a testimony to all who worshiped or heard of the Lord and the Israelites who served Him. I mean, how nuts is that? All these pagan religions in Canaan and the world had these graven images that they would carve themselves and worship. And yet the Israelites who served the one true God were like, “well, we’ve got two stone tablets that were written on by the finger of God Himself (Exodus 31:18), so we just worship Him.” That’s a sweet testimony! Makes sense that they called it the ark of the testimony.

And now we live after the cross and resurrection. Because of that, we no longer merely worship in Jerusalem or our churches, but we worship in spirit and truth (John 4:23-24) wherever we go. Testimony as a form of worship evolves as well (if evolves is the right word). So what should our testimony be? The Word of God: “And this is the testimony: that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son” (1 John 5:11). When someone asks for our testimony or “life story” as is the popular term now, it should include the turning point. We were going one way, we repented, we received the gift of God through Jesus that is eternal life. I think its important to note that Heaven/New Jerusalem is such an important part of eternal life, however it doesn’t start when these mortal bodies die. Rather the eternal life, true spiritual life, starts right then and there and regeneration takes place. And this new life is in the Son, He is the new Adam and we are to walk in His footsteps, His example, His righteousness and His love.

This was coming across my mind yesterday as I was picking Awadhi up from school. I’ve mentioned these times before, because I often find them profoundly frustrating. I feel like I shouldn’t have to only see him three days a week so the twenty minute drive there and the twenty minute drive back offers ample time for my thoughts and conversation with the Lord. Silence on the way there because I’m alone, silence on the way home because my son is (temporarily) deaf. The Lord continues to use this little boy in my life and teach me more about Him and what He does. Yesterday, He was talking to me about testimony. I know that Awadhi will have a remarkable testimony. My prayer is that it is better than my own. I know that his healing from HIV and deafness will be a miracle and others will be drawn to our God because of it. And yet, with all that has gone on already, I’m pretty much at the point where I just want it to happen already. And yet a new reason has come about. Awadhi’s building a testimony. He needs to continue to be a light to that deaf community so that they too will know the Lord’s love for them. He may be six, but I count him as a missionary to those children at the school and the greatest work there is yet to be done. My faith isn’t faltering because of the time that has passed already nor is there fear in me of him not being healed. I just continue to wait for the Lord’s perfect glorious timing and for the testimony to take a serious jump.

Through the shared stories of my summer community, I remember and reflect on the mighty God that we serve. There’s power in the testimony. Just in the stories that have been shared there are some intense situations that have taken place, stuff that I wouldn’t have just assumed had my friends not shared. So much pain and so many difficulties that they’ve gone through. Pain in family relationships, pain in dating relationships, pain in friend relationships, difficulties in time of failing health, pain and difficulties inflicted on ourselves by our own committed sin. My friends have gone through some garbage, ultra crappy situations. But after all that, they are serving the Lord. They love Him, they want Him, they worship Him. The crappy situations aren’t over, but with each one that comes, a building resolve to follow Jesus grows more and more. That’s a testimony and there’s power in it.

“Amazing grace, how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost, but now I’m found, was blind but now I see.” The Lord has intervened in your life, He has done a good work, a mighty work. Your salvation alone is the biggest miracle that can take place and you must testify of that. I must testify of that. Share your testimony, get others’ stories. Not only will it bring us closer to those around us, but it will benefit everyone involved and the Kingdom will advance. I’ve been so blessed to share my story and be encouraged by those of my friends, let us continue in this in accordance with God’s will, for this we give praise.

---------------------------------
The Rundown: A busy week for sure. Last Saturday (a week ago today) we went to the Mamundo Waterfalls outside of Marangu and that was really great. I got to be translator with our driver for the day which was great, until I realized that communication wasn’t perfect amongst me and my fellow English speakers. Haha, nonetheless it was really great and super beautiful. Church on Sunday was great and heavy on the worship, which I love. We did so much that I managed to bruise my finger with all the rim shots on my djembe. Its cool though, I was all tough about it. I’ve been hanging out with the friends I mentioned in the post which has been sweet, and I’m cherishing this time that there are actually more people than just Lauren and Mary here that are my age. Ryan has another team here. Only six people and the team leader is my friend Kara who was on my first trip to Tanzania in Summer 2008. It was cool to see her at worship on Thursday, which was just another great time altogether. I miss the kids now that they’re back in school and I don’t see them as much. I’m at TOA basically from 8 AM to 6 PM Monday through Friday and similar hours on Saturday, but the older ones don’t get out till 3:30 or 5:00, so I don’t get to see them too much throughout the week. So that’s a bummer. Less than a month till I take off for India. I sent out some support emails this week, so please pray that brings back a return. I’m waiting on the Lord for His provision and just trusting that it was His voice that called me there. Please join me in praying for all preparations, spiritual, financial and other. Also… don’t be afraid to throw some of God’s money towards what we’re doing. (just a quick plug there). Anyways, that’s life and that’s my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...