Greeting

Karibuni! The Lord is good! My name is Brandon and the Lord has done mighty things in my life. I am a missionary in Moshi, Tanzania and God is doing good things for us here at Treasures of Africa Children's Home. This website was created to share that story with friends, family and supporters in the states. I also from time to time will share some thoughts on other stuff as well. Each of the entries are a story of what the Lord is up to and to Him be all glory. Please feel free to send comments and questions to me at bmstiver@gmail.com. Thanks for visiting the site and I hope the Lord blesses you as you poke around.

Peace and Grace,
Brandon Stiver

Monday, April 11, 2011

Verse of the Week: 1 Peter 2:23-24

So this is something that I've wanted to do for awhile and finally got around to actually organizing it. I've heard plenty of times how children in first century Judea would memorize the whole Old Testament and then how people today in third world countries where persecution is intense, will memorize entire chapters and books of the Bible. And then here's me. I have deep need for the Word of God to be active in my life and yet I don't put forth the effort to write it on my heart. Not too long ago I wanted to be like those guys that memorize entire sections of the Bible so I gave it a try. I memorized the majority of Amos 5, but apparently lacked the fortitude or discipline to follow it through to the end. 


So here's what I'm going to do now. I've begun selecting verses that I know of, but don't have memorized or forget the address of it. I'm going to memorize them along with where they're found in the Bible. I figured I might as well share them on the blog as well and if you don't currently have a system for memorizing scripture feel free to do the verse of the week with me on the blog. I'll post the new one every Monday. Here's this week's verse.


This verse gets quoted often when people talk about the Lord healing us because of the last clause in the verse. I love it for that and also because you see Jesus' nature as He went to the cross. We can get so up in arms when people hurt us, but Jesus didn't return the pain to others and that's a beautiful thing and the way that we ought to behave as well. And then this is a great verse because it features the centrality of our Christian faith which is that Christ died for us, that we might be freed from sin and live righteously grounded in our faith in Him. 


"When He was reviled, He did not revile in return; when He suffered, He did not threaten, but committed Himself to Him who judges righteously; who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness - by whose stripes you were healed." - 1 Peter 2:23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...