Greeting

Karibuni! The Lord is good! My name is Brandon and the Lord has done mighty things in my life. I am a missionary in Moshi, Tanzania and God is doing good things for us here at Treasures of Africa Children's Home. This website was created to share that story with friends, family and supporters in the states. I also from time to time will share some thoughts on other stuff as well. Each of the entries are a story of what the Lord is up to and to Him be all glory. Please feel free to send comments and questions to me at bmstiver@gmail.com. Thanks for visiting the site and I hope the Lord blesses you as you poke around.

Peace and Grace,
Brandon Stiver

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A Blog About Blogging

So I felt that an interlude blog might be necessary. Not for the masses that read this blog, ahem, but rather for my own frame of mind. Something seems to be changing in regards to how I write, why I write and basically all that goes into being one of millions of voices expressed in the blogging culture. If its not a change, it could at least be described as a realization. I'll go backwards and then forwards and try to keep it brief (as to stay in line with the Facebook status update). I want to get these two orders of business out of the way now, because something happened today that I'm going to try to put it into words as I write tonight and post tomorrow. I think it'll be one of the more spiritually important blogs so I wouldn't want either of these two things to distract from that.

First, if you read it on Facebook or here on Blogger, you may realize that there has been a case of a vanishing post. I indeed wrote an entire blog and posted it on Friday. Basically I came to a realization of some pain that I had stuffed because of lack of contact with friends back home and I wrote from a place of insecurity. I am not an insecure person, so realizing that was not pleasant, but that didn't make it any less true. I literally woke up in the middle of the night on Friday, cringing from my own discomfort. I mixed that insecurity with my own vanity and attempted to take on the entirety of blogging culture with only my keyboard on my side. How counter-intuitive is that? And before I left the office that day, I felt the Lord telling me to strike the post. So I did. And I'm glad that I did. As far as I know the only ones that read it in that two or three hour window was a South African friend, a Peruvian friend (kind of) and I believe my soon-to-be mother-in-law. If you also drudged through that one, my apologies.

Second and last, if you haven't noticed, I'm trying to make my blog a little more legit. There are different reasons for that. First is because I do believe that putting out a blog is a good way, in this technological age, to testify and there is nothing wrong about making the website more winsome as you share testimonies of God's work. I am doing it now, because I'm going to be heading to the states in less than two months and this website is somewhere that I'll be pointing people to for follow-up and hearing more of what the Lord has called me to in Moshi. Because of that, I realize that its best for me to not only write those long weekly thoughts, but also have stuff going up more regularly (as well as shorter in length). Because of that I am going to be more regular on the blog sharing shorter bits about the kids, my thoughts or anything else that might catch my eye. I don't know if people care about that stuff, but I see other people doing that so I figure it won't be an entire waste of time. That's actually the main reason that I'm redoing the Treasure profiles, that way they are their own post and they are accessible there on the left hand side of the site. So... if you are reading this and you typically just catch the blog on Facebook, I suggest that you subscribe so you don't miss all the other stuff. I don't envision doing a status update for all the shorter blogs, even though I think they'll be worth the read.

So there you go. That's a long blog for some, but for me that's short. Thank you all for your prayers and for your interest in what the Lord is doing out here. I haven't used Swahili in most of my recent posts so I'll sign off with a good old Mungu akubariki.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...